This fall New-York designer Todd Snyder teams up with Champion. For this collaboration,
he decided to take a look at the history of the company and examine some of their catalog covers from the past. Champion, was established in Rochester, New York in 1919, Brothers Abe and Bill Fainbloom founded “The Knickerbocker Knitting Company” which later became Champion. Focusing on producing a heavy-duty cotton, which they patented as Reverse-Weave, the Fainbloom brothers manufactured sweatshirts and later jerseys. Designed originally for athletes, but in the 60s, Champion was seen more and more around the Campus and worn by Ivy-hipsters.
Drawing from Champion’s vast amount of sales catalogs and vintage samples, Todd Snyder added his handwriting on classic pieces by tailoring them with a modern twist. The full collection includes garment dyed t-shirts, vintage thermal long-sleeve crews, sweats, merino wool varsity sweaters, and much more. All styles of the 35 piece “City Gym” collection carry an authentic 1950’s Champion label with “T.SNYDER” stenciled in the back of each garment – reminiscent of the Champion gym uniforms worn by Todd in his school years.